Sunday, April 04, 2010

The toads are back again this year!

I'm back again, too, after a year of procrastinating. There have been a lot of things happening in my habitat garden --I just didn't have time to post them. The toads started singing two days ago, but are silent tonight - probably because it's 20 degrees colder tonight than it was last night. I know they're still around, though, since I saw them both in the pond skimmer all day. And since this is the last week of Project FeederWatch, it's a good time to start FrogWatch USA! The bumblebees are back, too. The big queens have been exploring for possible nesting sites. There's not a lot of nectar plants at the moment, but the bumblebee was enjoying the pussy willow. I love it when it's in full flower. I'm also excited to see all the spring wildflowers coming up. Some of the bloodroot is already blooming!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Hi Janet, it is great to find your blog! I so admire your work with Wild Ones and HGCNY. I caught the wonderful presentation by Kate Woodle but sorrily missed the pollinators (trip to Florida). Look forward to attending more of these wonderful insights in the future. Also, enjoyed your article in Nature's Garden. Look forward to any tours of your garden in the future as well. Loved reading about your pond. Bloodroot is beautiful.