Sunday, May 22, 2011

A fawn vs. Deer overpopulation

We had some excitement last night.

I glanced over and saw a doe and her fawn in a neighboring yard. (The neighbors were out of town.) I tried to signal the woman walking down the street with two VERY LARGE dogs that they were there. She stopped, but one of the dogs got away from her and went bounding toward the deer. The doe quickly ran away, and the fawn instantly dropped to the ground in this very awkward-looking posture. Meanwhile the dog dashed to the fawn. I was sure it was going to rip it apart, but the dog just sniffed it curiously. I grabbed the dog's leash and returned it to its owner.

So now we had this tiny fawn all alone. The mother was nowhere to be found. I fervently hoped that she would come back to get it during the night. And the next morning--not knowing what I would do if it were still there--I went to check. Phew! It was gone, and I was off the hook.

But it brings out a lot of issues. For one, who could not love this cute little fawn? It was definitely one of the cutest animal babies, and so vulnerable, too. I worried about it all night.

At the same time, though, I don't want deer in my yard, and I don't want so many deer destroying our natural areas, either. We have a serious problem with deer overpopulation. It's not good for our home landscapes, it's not good for our natural areas, it's not good for people who may collide with them while driving...and it's not good for the deer, either.

I feel very conflicted about this dilemma. I want the best for this little baby, but it also represents the huge problem of an ever-increasing deer population--a population which is beyond the carrying capacity of our region. I know it's a disaster to have so many deer. I also know that the solution cannot be a happy one, but one that must take into account a larger view of what is healthiest for the earth.

I ended the evening feeling very sad about the problems we face--and very uncertain whether humans are up to the challenges facing us.

2 comments:

Kathy P. said...

It's interesting, I have virtually no deer problem but I'm half-way between suburban and rural. I think there are enough farm fields within easy distance that the deer just don't bother with my yard. Plus I'm one of four houses in a row that have dogs...the deer give us a wide berth.

Sad that it's human activities, clearing land, and creating edges that have encouraged both deer and geese to overpopulate and become nuisances. Up in Saranac Lake they want to kill the geese that wander onto the school's athletic fields. Sigh.

Love your blog and what you're doing with the various websites. Will the "green" one be up and running soon?

Janet said...

Thank you for your comments! We certainly have challenges ahead.

The "Our Green 'Good Life'" website now has some content, though I'll be continuing to rethink a lot of these issues as I go along.

When I finish editing my three websites, I'll go back to updating my blogs for daily happenings.