Sunday, June 12, 2011

An alarming event

As I was about to get some dirt from our out-of-the-way dirt pile (which we had collected from various places to use as needed), I discovered bishop's weed (aka goutweed) growing there! It was already flowering.

Having written an article about bishop's weed for the Wild Ones Journal, I knew it was something to be feared. In my research for the article, I had read of people who literally scooped up the top layer of soil in their yards, had it carted away, and replaced it with new soil.

The roots go deep, and even the smallest bit of root can again become a plant. It's tenacious. I have visions of it taking over our whole yard. We'll have to monitor this area for the next few years to make sure we eradicate it.

So far, we've pulled out what we could and have it in a black garbage bag inside a garbage can. We'll let it die for a while, then put it in the garbage. I hope that will keep it from spreading either in our yard or elsewhere.

It's upsetting to know that this plant is still being sold. It's a public menace!

No comments: