Saturday, July 02, 2011

Bumblebee nest discovered

As I was walking up our front sidewalk, I noticed some bumblebees buzzing around, but there weren't any flowers in the immediate vicinity.

On closer look, I noticed them entering the ground. I found a bumblebee nest! I'm sure there's more than one in our yard since we have lots of bumblebees and lots of great places for them to nest--in other words, some bare ground, so scarce in suburbs with mostly lawn and asphalt.

What was interesting was that there were two entrances, about 6 inches apart.

The bumblebee in the photo is carrying some of his pollen/nectar mix on his legs. It will be used to feed the young bees as the colony gets larger and larger.

There's actually quite a high failure rate, and if they fail, I guess that means that the colony ends up producing no queens for next year. I don't know whether the queen of a failed colony can start a new nest midway through the summer.

I'm going to refrain from weeding in this area and hope to see some beautiful queens produced by fall!

No comments: