Sunday, May 16, 2010

Amazing migration right in my own yard!

I've been participating in the Vanessa Migration project, a citizen science project that tracks the migration of the Vanessa butterflies (Red Admiral, American Lady, Painted Lady, and West Coast Lady). I had sent in a few observations of American Lady and Red Admiral butterflies I had seen in my yard during the past week. I recorded them as "Presence of butterfly in my area." The photo is of one of these butterflies exploring my yard.

I was amused that they asked for "Flight direction." What do you mean "flight direction"? Don't butterflies just fly around? Well today, I saw a couple of red admirals, then a couple more, then a steady stream of about one every few minutes. And they all entered my yard from one direction and left heading North-northeast! They actually did have a "flight direction"!

Later when we walked to Wegmans (lately we've gotten all our food by taking our backpacks on the 3-mile round trip about four times a week), we saw Red Admirals all along our walk, all heading NNE. Truly amazing!

The wonderful thing about citizen science -- apart from the fact that it helps collect important data that can't be collected any other way -- is that it sharpens your powers of observation and alerts you to all these events in nature. I imagine this migration has taken place every year, but I never bothered to notice before now.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

That is really interesting. I have numerous Admirals this year - a butterfly that I have never noticed before in my garden. I will have to observe which way they are flying!