Monday, May 31, 2010

Uglifying a plant to make a beautiful butterfly

A few years ago, I thought there was some horrible insect destroying my pussytoes (Antennaria) and pearly everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea) plants. They were covered with white cottony structures with ugly black things in them. Sometimes you could even see a caterpillar inside these structures. BUT I learned that these are the caterpillars of the American Lady butterfly, and despite the apparent destruction, it doesn't hurt the plants at all. After being eaten year after year, they're as healthy as ever. Their relationship with the American Lady butterfly goes back a long ways! I admit this isn't exactly the way I'd like the plants to look, but my reward is knowing that they're helping make more American Lady butterflies, an especially cute little butterfly. So I've been dividing and transplanting more and more pussytoes and pearly everlasting plants to create even more host plants for these butterflies. They're one of the easiest butterflies to raise inside, too. I've brought some plants with caterpillars inside and I'm raising them in an aquarium. Just make sure you have plenty of these plants available so you can supply fresh leaves for them.

No comments: